University of Minnesota
I am a Senior Lecturer and researcher in the Quantitative Methods in Education program within the Department of Educational Psychology at the University of Minnesota. I currently teach undergaraduate and graduate-level courses in statistics and train and supervise graduate students in statistics education. In a previous life I taught mathematics and A.P. Statistics at ROCORI High School in Cold Spring, MN.
My scholarship focuses on statistics education. I have authored/co-authored several papers and book chapters related to statistics education, and have been a co-PI on many NSF-funded statistics education research projects. Additionally, I have co-authored two textbooks that serve as an introduction to modern statistical and computational methods for students in the educational and behavioral sciences.
Currently, I serve as co-editor of the journal Technology Innovations in Statistics Education. My research interests have recently been focused on teacher education and also on how data science is transforming the statistics curriculum. In 2018, I was part of a study group formed by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine that authored the report, Data Science for Undergraduates" Opportunities and Options.
PhD in Educational Psychology, Quantitative Methods in Education, 2006
University of Minnesota
BS in Mathematics Education, 1998
St. Cloud State University
I teach (have taught) the following courses at the University of Minnesota:
- EPsy 1261: Understanding Data Stories through Visualization and Computing
- EPsy 3264: Basic and Applied Statistics   
- EPsy 5244: Survey Design, Sampling, and Implementation
- EPsy 8220: Methods for Categorical Response Data in Educational Research
- EPsy 8251: Methods in Data Analysis for Educational Research I 
- EPsy 8252: Methods in Data Analysis for Educational Research II 
- EPsy 8261: Statistical Methods I: Probability and Inference
- EPsy 8262: Statistical Methods II: Regression and The General Linear Model
- EPsy 8264: Advanced Multiple Regression 
- EPsy 8282: Statistical Analysis of Longitudinal Data I
You can find many of my old course materials in my course archive.
Blogs I follow:
- Educate-R — Brandon LeBeau’s blog
- Marianne Elmquist — Marianne Elmquist’s blog
- R Bloggers
- R Weekly
- Statistical Journeys — Vimal Rao’s blog
- Teach Data Science — A roadmap to recent developments in teaching data science by Hunter Glanz, Jo Hardin, and Nick Horton